Friday, May 6, 2011

The Worlds Warmest Shawl

Tomorrow is Shepherd's Harvest. A big all-things-fibery festival within driving distance. Now, Shepherds Harvest means lots of impulse purchasing, matter of fact, I go on a fiber fast every year just for these 2 days. This only applies Jan-May, after the fest takes place I can augment my stash in multiple ways, as I don't have the next SH looming over my head for another year.

Of course since I already have an ample stash (really I think I could spin yarn for the next 5 years without restashing), I always feel a pressing need to at least make a dent in a bag of fiber before attending.

So with that in mind, I've been spinning. This theory didn't work as well though due to my choice of projects. The first, was the never ending yarn though as a bonus that got rid of 2 stashed items not one. My next project was something I had concocted during the freezing cold winter months. Now, this really just abated a couple weeks ago, so it's still fresh in my mind. It all started with my November Painted Tiger club fiber, which was a Corriedale X in Temperature Flux. At the time, I was going for an easy spin, and spun it thick, N-plied it to a bulky weight yarn and there it sat. Till January when I started a shawl with it. I had wanted to do a Kay's Tess D'Uberville shawl (free on Ravelry for those who are) which is a tie shawl. Tie shawls are shawls with extra repeats that allow it to be tied in the back, thereby enfolding the wearer in a layer of warmth. Of course the fact that the pattern called for size 7 needles, and 800 yards of yarn didn't dissuade me. Instead I used size 15 needles, and my 300 yards of super bulky because I wanted this to be WARM. I mean, at the time I was casting this on, it was -20 degrees and we were buried in snow. I knit, and a couple days later, I had a lovely shawl. The problem was that unless you weighed less than 100 pounds, it was not going to be a tie shawl. I contacted Brooke at TPT who shipped off the remaining Temp Flux fiber and I've been thinking about spinning it ever since.

Wednesday night I spun and plied it, and yesterday I finished the shawl (this is a fast knit, especially on oversize needles). It fits! And it's WARM, and it's pretty! I did take pictures with a model but my phone ate them, and my other camera's battery charger has somehow been misplaced under a pile of yarn somewhere. So here are some junky cell phone pictures of just the shawl. I still think it reminds me of the ocean, I can hear the waves crashing, I may even take it with me to wear at the ocean when we get there later this year... So pretty!


And I am slightly proud that I took on a larger project, and managed to make something out of handspun. The ending of this project totally means I can restash tomorrow. I mean, there's like 20 oz of yarn there, so getting another 10 pounds or so to replace it makes complete sense..

No comments:

Post a Comment