Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spindles

I learned to spin on a wheel first, and until last year drop spindles mystified me. Once I changed to top whorl spindles, I was no longer mystified in a bad way but in a good way.

Whenever I pick up one of my drop spindles to play with it, I am reminded that if I had been born 200, 500, 2,000 years ago, this would have been a part of my life as intrinsic as cooking dinner, or sleeping. Each thread we would be wearing would have been spun by hand.

What is even more cool, is that each area, had their own drop spindles, with a different look and purpose, depending on what fibers they used.

Here is a link to a blog with pictures of Egyptian spindles.

And here is a link to a small collection of spindles from around the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment