Thursday, November 18, 2010

One of Those Days - Weeks - Months - Lives...

My job sucks when I'm sick. You're supposed to be happy, enthusiastic, and you know talk to people. All the while not coughing up a lung, acting sick, or looking sick. All of y'all who work desk jobs have no idea how difficult it is to run around all day when all you want to do is curl up and sleep. Admit it. At a desk job, you can secretly sip Dayquil with your coffee and no one's the wiser. You can be in 'meetings' all day, or even possibly take a day of PTO. Us restaurant slaves, Ha! We work. We work hard, and we pretend we're not sick.

The first step of course is to mask the symptoms. The coughing up a lung thing can be accomplished with copious amounts of cold medicine. However, cold medicine has a strange effect on me. It makes me loopy, not tired, but loopy. Strangely forgetful, and basically an airhead. That's a great thing when you're running a huge restaurant with 20 employees there. Who by the end of the night think you're nuts. I have no idea why. It couldn't possibly be because I continuously forgot who I was talking to, or because I kept wandering into the keg cooler in search of cleaning chemicals, or because when asked simple questions I stared at them and said, 'what did you just ask me again?'. Or the fact I paid one of them to go get me more cold medicine. This is probably not as weird as the night I jumped around the restaurant using my Shape Up shoes like a pogo stick to stay awake while managing. That actually was without cold medicine, though so it really doesn't apply to this story, or day.

Of course they'll think I'm even more nuts tomorrow when I show up at the opening with the keys that are supposed to stay in the restaurant at all times. Somehow they rode home in my pocket. It's been one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment