Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chickpeas and Dumplings

Comfort Food at it's finest:

1 can chickpeas drained
1 can pinto beans drained
1 cup carrots sliced
1 cup celery sliced (3 ribs or so)

1 cup of frozen corn
(notice I'm into 1, I go for simplicity here)

1 cup mushrooms sliced
1 quart vegetable stock (I like Kitchen Basics unsalted the best)
1 cup frozen or fresh peas

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp olive oil
Tumeric, smoked paprika, sage, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, nutritional yeast


----

Heat oil in pot and add veggies starting with the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes (I cook as I chop). Once the pan is hot add stock to cover, chickpeas, pinto beans, and frozen veggies. Season to taste (I used approximately 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp sage, 1 tsp poultry seasoning, and 1/3 cup nutritional yeast, the rest, I'm not sure on - I do know I went easy on the tumeric, it's a great flavor but don't overuse) remember the dried seasonings will bloom and merge. Add the rest of the stock, give it a stir and top off with a couple cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a steady low boil. Cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Meanwhile make your favorite drop biscuit recipe (I used Betty Crocker's cookbook) or mix up bisquik then add to the pot. Boil uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover for an additional 10.



Delicious, filling, and no chickens were harmed in the making of this recipe :).


No comments:

Post a Comment