Thursday, December 8, 2011

Adventures in Knitting



Lolita has been going so smoothly. The pattern has flowed from my fingertips in a fluid symmetry. I often say that yarns choose what they want to be, and this yarn was supposed to be this vest. It's also awesome to learn about shoulder shaping without having to deal with sleeves. I'm really whipping through it. Or I was.




Until yesterday, when I ran out of yarn about 4 inches earlier than I should have. Hmmm. Really, the back took THAT much? Of course I ignored the standard rule of knitting, always thing you have too much yarn, not too little. This is something I ignore a lot, I just blindly cast on and start knitting away not thinking about how much yarn the pattern may say it requires. Who are they anyway? Yarn sellers, I don't need that much. Who would need THAT much? Silliness. Then, I get down and realize I'm short. In this case, by my approximation, I think I'm about 2 - 3 inches of knitting short. The problem, is that this is handdyed club yarn. Yes I can get more, but it'll take a bit. And I am not a process knitter. I want it done NOW! Not later. So I raced to Ravelry where luck would have it my plea found one person willing to part with a skein of this yarn. It's in the mail tomorrow morning and should be here quickly! Thank goodness! Now I just have to decide whether or not to keep knitting with the lighter color, or whether to wait and see if the new yarn is light or dark. Part of me says to keep going, part says to wait. So many decisions. Of course now that the new yarn is procured, and on it's way I may not need it anyway. If not, no biggie, this would make a gorgeous hat, I love the color.




It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a UFO - nope it's a very important object waiting to be thrown

My other very mini knitting project this week? I know it may not look like much, but this is a VERY IMPORTANT TOY now. Ramses has been after this blue yarn for weeks. Stealing it at every opportunity. While it was being made into a hat, he'd steal the hat or yarn and race away with it. I finally took the leftover yarn, knitted it into a square, sewed it up around an old squeaky tennis ball of his (he loves squeaky tennis balls) and felted it. It felted beautifully and is now his absolute most favorite thing in the world. Silly puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment