Thursday, March 15, 2012

When It's Taking too Long...

When the bobbin never seems to fill, and the roving never seems to stop, it might be a sign.

A sign you're spinning the darn stuff too fine!!

I'm going to hang that quote up somewhere.

For some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to increase the tension and spin a bunch of Merino/Silk roving that has been tripping me. A week later and I was ready tear my hair out because it was NEVER ending!

When I finally decreed the bobbin filled and plied it, I realized why. My first plied bobbin had 350 yards of lace weight 3 ply. And I still have half the original bobbin to ply. I can't even call it fingering weight, it's lighter than the sock weight yarn I have hanging around. I'm guessing I'll have close to 800 yards off of the first bobbin. Now I'm not sure whether or not to spin the remaining the same way, or up it. I guess I'll decide.

Right now I've decided procrastination is the best course of action, and I was dying to knit with Bryn. So I started a Multnomah shawl tonight. Much faster progress than that darn tangly windy lace weight which is laughing at me from across the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment