Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring Preview

People here keep insisting it's spring. And I will admit, it's been unseasonably warm, the grass is turning green, and there are buds on the trees.

I however know the dirty little secret. That it can suddenly change, the temperatures plummet, and the a blizzard strike without warning. This I will agree is a pessimistic view, but here in the frozen tundra, I don't count my flowers before May 15th.

Of course I have spring fever as bad as anyone, hampered even more because I can't really plant things in the ground. So, instead, I bought daffodils at the store, and made a spring pasta.



Spring Green Pasta

1 - box of pasta (I used shells, use whatever)
1 - heirloom tomato
1 - bell pepper
1 - 8 oz package of mushrooms (really optional, I just had some I needed to use)
1 - tsp olive oil
1 - bunch fresh basil
2 - avocados
garlic
Italian seasoning
pepper
salt
nutritional yeast
---
Cook the pasta in salted water until just barely al dente.

Dice the mushrooms, bell pepper, basil and tomato. Reserve basil on the side.
In a large pan heat the oil and saute mushrooms, garlic, bell pepper and add any dried herbs you're using. Once the mushrooms are soft, add the tomato, nutritional yeast, and continue to cook. Add a list pasta water if you need to thin it out.

Once the pasta is done, drain it and add to pan continuing to cook for another couple minutes. Meanwhile mash the avocado adding a little salt and pepper to taste.

Remove pasta from heat, stir in avocado and diced basil. Enjoy!

This would be great with spinach, peas, or asparagus added to it as well. It makes you think it's spring, even if it's kind of a weird quasi shouldn't be spring but feels like spring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment