Monday, September 26, 2011

Six Months Of Loaves and Fish

Or eating Pescetarian rather.

A little over six months ago, my sister was diagnosed with MS. And a little over six months ago, I gave up all meat except for fish and started to drastically cut down on Saturated fats.

How has it been? The easiest part for me, has been the meat. Only once have I eaten a meal with any meat in it, and that due to being a guest at someone's home. Every other situation I have managed to avoid it, whether or not I was left with eating simply side dishes. I went from eating fish 2-3 times a week, to maybe once a week at the most.

In the past 6 months, I've noticed that I have more energy, our food bills have dropped, and I definitely feel better. I often tell people giving up meat was the best decision I made.

On the negative side, I can not eat fat and grease the way I used to. The other evening I had to eat at a banquet. I ate the vegetables, the salad, and the bread and got extremely sick later that night. I just can't handle processed, greasy, fatty food any more.

In the last few weeks, I have been researching vegan cooking. I discovered http://www.thehappyherbivore.com and her cookbook, and I was really intrigued by her recipes and how low fat they were. It also made me start researching more on Saturated fats. I am now even more determined to cut down saturated fats.

I am reminding myself again, that eating a mostly plant based diet, doesn't mean I can never have another slice of gruyere cheese, or have to give up salmon at Ivars. Instead it means eating deliberately and reasonably. Now, eating deliberately over the past 6 months has made me leave meat far behind, and that may be the case here too, but if not, I know I am still drastically improving my health.

1 comment:

  1. Three cheers for you!! Congrats and keep up the good work! I wish I had your fortitude and perseverence!

    ReplyDelete